WHAT IS WMDD?
World Marrow Donor Day (WMDD) is celebrated globally on the third Saturday of September. In 2019 WMDD held on Saturday, September 21. The day celebrated in more than 50 countries around the world reaching hundreds of thousands of people and resulting in a great deal of media coverage.
The campaign, which originally was held as a European event in Italy, Spain, France and Belgium, was expanded by the WMDA to a worldwide celebration in 2015.
The main objective of WMDD is to thank all donors worldwide. Unrelated donors, family donors, cord blood donors, donors who already have donated, and donors who are on the global registry waiting to donate.
Secondary objective is to raise awareness among the general public and decision-makers about being a stem cell donor and the impact of blood stem cell transplantation on patients’ lives. For many children and adults in need of a transplant we are unable to find a match within the global registry with millions of donors and therefore, more potential volunteer donors need to be recruited. This is especially true for patients with mixed race or from ethnic minorities.
EVENTS AROUND THE WORLD
WMDD targets primarily the general public, but also seeks to raise awareness among policymakers, public authorities, industry representatives, researchers, health professionals and anyone who has a genuine interest in blood stem cell donation and blood stem cell transplantation.
This website includes information about WMDD events happening around the world, how to register an event and submit international donor/recipient stories.
All forms of participation for WMDD, big or small, are encouraged. Be creative and let your heart speak. Take thank you pictures with your team or donors and post them on social media or websites. WMDD would not be possible without the continuous efforts of organisations around the world, building awareness locally in order to achieve a potential donor for each patient.
WMDD official Website: https://worldmarrowdonorday.org/about-wmdd/
DATRI Celebrates World Marrow Donor Day
DATRI Cycle to Gift A Life 2019
This is the 6th edition of the mega cycling event DATRI has been conducting since 2014. We are proud to say that the event has scaled from 30 cyclists in 2014, upto 700 cyclists who participated this year. DATRI conducts this event in September to mark the ‘World Marrow Donor Day’, where cyclists participate to create awareness about Blood Stem Cell Donation. This is Chennai’s largest paid cycling event with maximum participation from the city Cycling groups, Corporates and Colleges. In 2015 Lakshmi Narayanan – Ex Vice Chairman and Ex CEO of Cognizant, flagged off the event and Actor Suhasini Manirathram was part of the event. The funds collected from this event will be utilised for the cause.
List Events Across India by DATRI
- 3 DRM’s in one day by Gujarat DATRI team.
- 700+ cyclists painted Chennai streets in orange color by Chennai DATRI team.
- Live art by Kerala DATRI team.
- Donor Edwin Media coverage for donating blood stem cells twice in Kerala.
- Awareness rally with lots of participants but organized by Coimbatore DATRI team.
- Felicitating donors and conducting awareness in Ruby Hall Clinic by Pune DATRI team.
- Unique cap awareness video created by Vizag DATRI team.
- Dr. Madhavi spreading awareness and drives at a various location organized by Andra pradesh DATRI team to recruit 523 donors, with extensive media coverage of the drives.
- Amazon Drive by Bengaluru and Haryana DATRI team.
- Mumbai and Pune volunteers created collaterals using recyclable materials.
- Drive by Lucknow DATRI team – They recruited 33 donors.
- Drive at MVN College, AP with 275 donors with good media coverage.